Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A blog post from my publisher about the book!

How delighted was I to be pointed in the direction of a lovely and very sweet post by Rotovision about my upcoming book, The Complete Guide to Designing & Printing Fabric. They also included some sneak peeks of a few pages which they've kindly agreed to let me share here! In addition to the 'techie' tutorials for how to digitally set up repeats and all that good stuff, there's loads of information in the book about color, inspiration and tutorials for hand rendered designs too.





It just gives me chills to start to see everything coming together. I have to tell you that writing the book was one of the most challenging and fulfilling things I have been fortunate enough to do. All of the text is now officially complete after 5 months of really, really hard work. (Yahoo!!!) Now I'm working through the editing process and I'm getting to start to see some of the layouts from the art director. It's really amazing how many people are involved and how long the whole process takes. I can hardly believe it will be next fall before I get to hold a copy in my hands!

In addition to getting to interview some amazing designers and collaborate with some really talented people, another one of my favorite parts of the book was getting to work on all the photography. I completely and totally lucked out and was able to get the talented Ryann Ford to do my photography and Robin Finlay to do my styling. What an amazing duo they are! I only wish we had taken more 'behind the scenes' shots. This was from one of our shoots where Robin styled a fake bed to show off this gorgeous Bird in Paradise fabric from Umbrella Prints.



When you see the final shot, you would NEVER in a million years guess that the bed was actually a couch cushion. :) As we get closer to the publication date (next fall is still a long ways off!) I'll have more and more to share with you. Stay tuned!

11 comments:

DianeY said...

Sounds wonderful! Hope you hurry up & finish it so you'll have more time to design more wonderful fabric for those of us who feel very artistically challenged!

AllieKatMom said...

Looks great! Cant wait to see it!

Jesse said...

How exciting to see it coming together like this!

Becky said...

I am so fascinated by the creative process! Thanks for sharing yours.

Bee Yourself Fabrics said...

OMG! How awesome is that!!! Congratulations! I look forward to seeing your new book!!

Cynthia Strickland said...

Laurie I am so excited for you and for the rest of us to be able to buy and use this book. I can't wait until it becomes available. Congratulations to your success and achievement of such a huge project!

KatiesModernNest said...

This looks like a great book! I've been curious how to get started with fabric design, and you are one of the best! Cannot wait to get my hands on it. Funny thing...a few nights ago I dreamed I flew to Austin for your studio sale (probably a combo of the denyse schmidt studio sale, my love of tuffted tweets and the fact that i lived in Austin for a year). I promise, I am not dream-stalking you...but maybe you SHOULD do a studio sale ;-) Keep up the hard work! Katie

Lisa said...

I can't wait for your book!

Vesuviusmama said...

Looks like a great book. Just wanted to let you know that I have FINALLY cut into the Urban Circus fat quarters I won from you earlier this year to make a bib for a co-worker who just found out his wife is pregnant. I finally have a special purpose for those fabrics, and I plan to put the rest into a quilt for this new guy/gal. I hope you don't mind, but I linked to your blog from my blog (http://vesuviusmama.blogspot.com/2010/11/i-love-my-dog.html). Take care!

Anonymous said...

Cannot wait for when it comes out!

Beth H said...

This is so wonderful, Laurie! Congrats! Can't wait to get the book. : )
p.s.
really cool to see how the photog set up the faux bed!