Friday, February 27, 2009

A mixed bag

I have 3 fun things to share, but they're all unrelated, so today's post will be a bit random! Randomness aside, I hope you enjoy. Have a great weekend! Spring has sprung here in Austin so I'm really looking forward to a nice weekend outside. All the trees have started to bud and the flowers on the trees look just glorious.

Here's a nice posting from Whip Up about Spoonflower that includes a picture of my fabrics. So fun to see my fabrics get noticed.


I got a sweet note from Katy from What Katy Did about a little birdie purse she made. She covered hers with PVC plastic and then top stitched the birdie so it would stand out. How adorable is that? I would LOVE to make one like that out of my couches. Oh...if there were only more hours in the day.


And finally, Maira Kalman posted a new series illustrations on her blog about good old Abe Lincoln. I find her talent truly mind boggling! Do your self a favor and spend a few minutes enjoying her perspective. Here's a few of my favorites.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to apologize up front for a long comment...

I found you by discovering Spoonflower through a blog link, then visiting etsy and searching "spoonflower" and catching site of your gorgeous fabrics and art. I've been reading back through your blog, inspired by the leap you took and loving your designs! I have worked in Community Relations for the same Agency for 15 years. For years now I've daydreamed about hoppinh off this ride and making a creative living without landing flat on my face. Now that I have a 6 month old son, the desire is stronger than ever. My hub does it and I know it's hard but rewarding work. It's just making that leap!! So, I guess I'm looking for some words of wisdom from someone who has done it. I need to hear success stories to keep me motivated to make that first step. Many thanks.

LOVE the chairs...all of them!

Unknown said...

Hey Laurie

Just heard about a big music festival about to take place in Austin. Hope you can get along and see some Aussie bands - apparently there are 31 Aussie acts over there this year.

I'm about to try some cushions of my own and maybe some applique using your advice.

Hope you are well.